PAPER: Photography Contest: Doorways

My dear friend Rowena told me about this photography contest at the Madison Public Library. The theme was DOORS or DOORWAYS and doors and windows and arches in architecture have always been among my favorite things to notice. 

I pre-selected a couple dozen of my favorite photos of doors and asked people for their opinions on them after posting to Google Photos. I got very few comments or likes, so I decided to just go with my gut and pick the ones *I* liked!  

I entered on the last possible day after printing out the photos and mounting them on matt board. Nothing fancy. I could've found a half dozen fun door photos but when I finally was able to see the entry form, I saw that there was a limit of two photos and that was all!

I went over to the library a couple of weeks later to see the show and was very disappointed to see that it was only 12-14 photos total. (It's a good thing I didn't bring a half dozen to enter!)


While this one doesn't technically show a door, per se, it is all about the light on the inside being reflected on the rain on the screen door in twilight. This one was taken near the end of a week of knitting camp at the Whitehead Island Lighthouse Keeper's House, a trip I took with friend Debbie Heida. I love the contrast of the warm inside light and the cool of the rain and sky.  I don't know why, but I really like this one. No one else seemed to like it, but it got 2nd Place in the library photo contest.


I liked this one because of the window in the door in the wall. From this St. Augustine, Florida street, you can see that the other side is open to a courtyard or some other outdoor space, but that window just makes you wonder what you would see if you looked through it.  The rough wall and door are a nice contrast to the green foliage and the terra cotta pots and red geraniums. This one was voted the 1st Place winner in the photo contest.

It was kind of a sad little show, but given the pandemic, I guess that's all one could expect. Now I can claim to be an "award winning photographer"--thanks, Rowena!

Comments

Popular Posts