FIBER: Weaving Memories!


It was time to start weaving again. I was not at all confident of my weaving memory and wanted to take  a class to refresh my brain after a hiatus of 8 years since I took my class at Harrisville Designs in New Hampshire. I contacted Praxis Fiber Arts in Cleveland and while they were not able to add me to the now-full beginning weaving class due to COVID restrictions, I  could take a couple private lessons and rent a loom at their studio.  And that's what I did.

These are the cones I wanted to use from a gamp kit from Halcyon Yarn. I'd been holding them for YEARS, just waiting for retirement so I could use them!

Winding the warp on the warping board. 
These colors were just so cheerful, making it more fun!

These two show "warping the loom"
Threading the heddles


I was following a huck weave pattern, set up by how the heddles were threaded


This was a little loom compared to the same (bigger) loom I have at home, 
both by Harrisville Designs
After I wove the placemats, I had some warp left and experimented with plain weave
Table Runner

A pile of placemats..and one little hostess towel!


What I learned was that I have to pay more attention to both setting up the loom and the weaving--more than I typically have to for other things in this post-work life. But when it goes well, it's completely satisfying. I think of pioneer women who wove to have fabric to sew into clothing for themselves and their families. (After having to spin the fiber for the warp and weft) I'm grateful that I get to do this just for my own entertainment! #lifeisgood
 

Comments

Popular Posts